What is O’Reilly ?
O’Reilly Online Learning (Safari Books Online) account is a very good online learning platform, the best in-depth training in the field of information technology and programming today.
- Build skills and learn new technologies that can advance your career (and boost your salary).
- Earn certifications easier and get proficient with everything from Python to software architecture to AI and SysOps.
- Learn through books, virtual live events and training courses, on-demand courses, and interactive content.
Online learning on O’Reilly Learning account
As I said, the focus of O’Reilly’s content is technology and programming. Many of my friends love this site because you can find a lot of resources you need for self-study.
You can use a wide range of content including books, video lectures, new technology introduction videos, and live training programs.
In terms of training, the platform is quite similar to Lynda. But I feel (and really am), O’Reilly is bigger and more specialized. And more importantly, no matter what level you are at, there are rich and in-depth content resources to use.
Access your OReilly Learning account
- With an OReilly Learning Premium account (previous Safari Books Online account) you can access it through any internet-connected device, from desktop computers to laptops, tablets and smartphones bright.
- I often use the OReilly app on my phone to listen to training programs, listen to lecture videos when traveling on public transport.
- Use a tablet to read OReilly books because the font size is larger, the reading feeling is closer to the real book, and you can mark and note good information. Learning progress and note information are all synced across phones, tablets and desktops.
Diverse bookstore on O’Reilly Learning account
The O’Reilly Learning account includes more than just OReilly publications. The library of training materials also has thousands of books from other famous publishers such as Pearson, Packt, Sun, Addison Wesley, ..
Current training topics on the OReilly Learning account are not limited to technology and programming anymore, you can find a lot of books on technical, business in, soft skills tutorials… List A list of topics you can find on the OReilly online training library include:
- Career Development
- Data science
- Math and other Science subjects,
- Technical Education
- Software Development
- System management
- Travel & Personal Hobbies
- Web and Mobile
One difference (for those of you who own an O’Reilly account) is that you get early access to a lot of titles, before they appear on bookstores or Amazon. In other words, books and materials published on OReilly will be almost the earliest (and earlier than Amazon).
Direct training on O’Reilly Learning account
O’Reilly Online Learning regularly offers many face-to-face training courses with instructors who are experts and veteran programmers such as:
- Bob Martin
- Ken Kousen
- Simon Roberts
- Ford Ford
- Sam Newman
The OReilly Learing account states that you can take courses taught by American data scientist DJ Patil, former General Electric vice president Beth Comstock, or professor Clayton Christensen (from Harvard) or by Google research director Peter Norvig…
You will receive an email reminder before the course begins and after the course you will receive the course slides and videos that can be downloaded to your computer (offline).
Live training is the latest feature added to OReilly Online Learning Premium. Usually a live lecture like this will last for 3 hours to 3 days. When participating in a live course (different from Lynda and Udemy guys), you can directly ask the instructor and the members who are attending the class.
Live lectures will also be saved, so if you miss a session, you can still watch it, but can’t interact directly with the lecturer.
List of a few featured courses on O’Reilly Online Learning Premium:
- Functional Programming in Java
- AWS Design Fundamentals
- Asynchronous Programming with Node.js
- Google Cloud Platform: Professional Cloud Architect Certification Prep
- Artificial intelligence: AI for business
- Microservices Architecture and Design
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) Crash Course
- Reactive Spring and Spring Boot
- Architecture foundations: Styles, patterns, and trade-offs
- Microservice fundamentals
- Introduction to Docker Compose
- Introduction to UI & UX design
The O’Reilly learning account also supports the “Live coding” feature in the browser and builds your personal learning path (videos and documents are arranged in order of beginner to advanced level. ).