What is Academia ?
Academia.edu is an American commercial social networking website for academics. It began as a free and open repository of academic journal articles and registered a .edu domain name when this was not limited to educational institutions.
- Find and read 22M full-text papers
- Share your research with 31M academics
- Track who Mentions you and cites your papers
- See who’s reading your papers
- Get enhanced Analytics and Profile Visitors
- Search the full text and citations of 22M papers
- Download unlimited PDF Packs
How to Use Academia.edu for Personal Studies
- The first action is to log on to academia.edu as a way of keeping your professional online presence. You can sign up with your Google or Facebook profile. Once in, you can fill out your profile and add the OU affiliation. One advantage of adding OU affiliation is that it adds to a subdomain that empowers you to find your colleagues easily.
- In the same vein, the site can guess your affiliation based on your IP or email address.
- You can make some modifications by adding your title and the department.
- Also, you should add your research interests to enable other researchers to find you and your work.
1. Posting a Publication
- If you are an established scholar, you can choose what to share. It can be a walkover since you just select the most cited paper. Choosing might be a bit tough if you are a graduate or early in your career.
- When you have a paper in mind before you publish it, ensure that you have the rights to the post. As an author, it is noteworthy that you will be signing away your copyright when publishing your articles with any incredible publisher.
- Whenever you lack the copyright for a paper, there is still more hope for you. The platform allows you to post a section of the paper in an unformatted and unedited version. You can post the article by uploading it to the site by hitting the upload button.
- Once through, you can click the blue button, which helps you to answer if you are uploading unpublished or published work. You can read more about Academia.edu and learn how you can utilize it for the better.
- Next, the platform will extract the tile of your publication automatically. If necessary, you can make some modifications to the title as you add an abstract or co-authors.
- If the authors are not members of academia.edu, you can add them by providing their email contact. That prompts the site to send the invitation to join the platform.
- Lastly, there are generally specific keywords that other users can use to locate your publication at the research interests.
2. Connect with others
- You can connect with other members who are on this site. You can use an email or Facebook account to Academia.edu. Again, the platform will search the contacts and also suggest connections.
- You can keep the account lively by adding more publications. One can choose to add a photo and connect the profile with Twitter or LinkedIn.
How to Use academia.edu Free
- If you are unwilling to go for the premium version, you can still access the platform and use its resource at no cost. Academia.edu is a prominent publisher that boasts of different research papers that the user can access without paying any penny.
- However, you must use certain avenues that could assist you in using these resources without encountering costs.
- Firstly, any paper on Academia is free to use and download.
- The only qualification is to have an academic account to download the documents.
- It is noteworthy that one does not need an account to read the academic papers on the same site.